Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Mom

3693395187_9cbaee3298_oMy sweet mom, Joyce Andrea Johnson Anderson, passed away on January 29, 2014. 

As you can see, it’s taken me a long time to write this post.  I feel intimidated by the idea of writing what feels like a life-summary post about my mom.  I’m afraid I won’t do her justice.  That I won’t say everything I want to say.

So I’ve decided not to.  Not to write a life-summary post that is, not to say everything that needs to be said in one post.  I think I’ll feel free to write more about my mom whenever  I feel like it.

It makes me sad to know she won’t be reading it, my most faithful Clearlyliving reader.

At my mom’s memorial, I shared that she is my biggest fan and greatest cheerleader.  I think she told everyone she ever met – including people standing behind her in line! – about me and my work in Mozambique and my blog.  She was always giving people my blog address.  I sure will miss having my biggest fan on my side.

My mom was diagnosed with Stage Four Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma back in 2004, shortly after I moved to Mozambique.  She did amazingly well with having cancer these last nine years and I am so grateful for that time.  Even though I’ve lived out of the country, I’ve had a lot of wonderful times with her over these years.

But I still wasn’t ready to lose her, of course.  Her mother had died when she was 76 and I always thought that was so young, and here my mom died two months before she turned 76.  I still think it is so young.

I miss my mom.  4069062517_394b322223_o


The Reeds said...

Oh Laura.. I'm not just saying this, today I thought about you and how I hadn't heard from you in a while. I should have prayed. I'm so so sorry.

There can never be enough words for a gaping hole and a huge loss. It's wonderful to hear how much she loved you.. What a legacy.

Write as much as you want. When you want. I will always be here.

I'm really really sorry.

Big hugs.

daysease said...

Here I was, catching up on old updates... All of 2014 to be exact, when I find this post... I am heartbroken. That I missed it. That I could not offer you a smile, and a long-distance hug... I know you probably don't even remember me, but... I remember you. And, those boys. I still have the pictures of Antonio-Pai and Lucas, and Adilson, from when you asked us to adopt children to pray for that one Mother's Day those couple years ago. I haven't forgotten, I have just been passing through some challenging times myself. I am sorry that I have not been around to just "Be there". I know what it is like to be away from home and miss people. I value what you are doing for those kids because I know that it is your life's sacrifice of glorious praise. It is a blessing that is giving and receiving. Please know that when I think of you, I pray for you. And, now that I have caught up a bit on these email updates, I will pray more effectively. Please let me know how Lucas' has been healing with his leg and health. Give him a smooch from the P family in Italy. Blessings, Mana Laura. May the Lord encourage and strengthen you, provide for each of your needs, heal and comfort your hearts, and bless you in remarkable ways. May He grant you strength, health, peace that passes understanding, and joy unspeakable and full of glory. Thank you for your updates. You are not forgotten. Amen. Celita